Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Cake for Brenda


It was the birthday of R's teacher's assistant. So, I thought I would make a cake. I came across a fabulous recipe for marshmallow fondant (see below) and made it. Cut out butterflies for the cake, but they didn't harden and I wanted the butterflies posed with their wings bent upwards. So, I used a bit of gumpaste from our local bakery supply. I used a few of the marshmallow fondant butterflies, anyway, and a cream cheese frosting over a vanilla cake.

I made some gumpaste flowers by using flower cookie cutter, scoring lines on the petals, and letting the flowers harden in a mini muffin tin. And, I tried my hand at roses, pitiful effort, I know, but I'm intrigued enough to find a flower-making class.

Now, even though the marshmallow fondant butterflies didn't harden, the recipe was so easy to make and tasty that I'll be using it to cover cakes with in the future.
Marshmallow Fondant Recipe:
1 bag of mini-marshmallows (brand name works best)
3 Tbsp water
2 lbs powdered sugar
Put marshmallows & water together in microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Take out this "soupy" mixture & use spoon (mixture will be hot enough to burn) to mix. Gradually add half of powdered sugar & mix with spoon. Put rest of powdered sugar on heavily-greased counter, dump marshmallow mixture on top of powdered sugar and gently knead with greased hands all sugar into mixture (should take about 5 minutes).
Now it's ready to roll, or you can let it rest overnight in fridge. If you want to add color, you can during the "soupy" phase, or at the end.
The best thing about this fondant is if it gets a bit hard, you can stick it back in the microwave for 5 - 10 seconds. Here's a link to a great page with recipes and video. If you've been waiting to make fondant, I hope you "go for it" and give this easy recipe a try.










2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok. You are talented! Your cakes rock, and pizza looks so yummy! xx

Mae said...

Thank you, Sarah! Isn't it fun to make cakes? Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful weekend!