Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Hockey Puck (Bread)

Something that I've always wanted to try.  Sourdough bread.  Made from my own sourdough starter.  It's something that's always been in the back of my mind.  My kids love sourdough bread, and since we live so close to San Francisco, it's easy to get in every grocery store around.  But, I wanted to make my own.  I followed the directions, here, for no-knead sourdough bread, on MaryJanesFarm

The sourdough starter consists of just organic flour and distilled water.    After a week of adding and stirring (which just took one minute a day), I made my first two loaves.  Without adding any additional yeast.  The bread tasted and smelled fabulous!  It just didn't rise. 


The yeast was still quite young and maybe was not strong enough to rise, much.  Or, the fact that I forgot a few times and put in water from the tap (which has added chemicals in it which might hurt the wild yeast) might have hurt the yeast.  But, I'm not defeated.  My family loved the bread and gave me encouragement.  So, I'm trying again, starting a new starter, today, and will let you know how it turns out. 

Have any of you attempted your own sourdough starter?

No comments: